Hello new friends!
This post is coming to you from the desk of Miss. Tchigak. Who is this, you may ask? Why is this new person in my classroom? Why is there a stranger writing on the blog?! Before there is any more confusion, let me tell you a little bit about who I am.
I am a Teacher Candidate from Queen’s University in my last year of the Bachelor of Education degree. I want to be a teacher!! I am in the primary/junior division (hoping to teach grades K-6) and I specialize in Environmental Education (I love nature). I recently moved to Kingston in May 2016 from the city of Cambridge, Ontario. Over the past 4 years I have studied at the University of Guelph. Here, I completed my Bachelor of Applied Science degree, where I focused on early childhood education and child, youth and family development. Over my lifetime, I have spent time working at summer camps, wilderness survival camps, outdoor education schools, day cares and volunteering my time in elementary school classrooms.
What is my role at Centennial Public School in Mr. Caldwell’s Grade 5 classroom, you ask?
I will be completing my FIRST EVER practicum teaching placement in this amazing classroom. I will be spending 6 whole weeks (plus a couple of extra Fridays before the winter break) with my new grade 5 friends. During this time, I will be teaching, assisting, helping, observing, as well as learning alongside our little scientists.
Here is a photo of me right after I caught a Monarch Butterfly, right here in Kingston! Me and my classmates tagged them with a number. But do not worry, we set them free because we want to track their migration down south to Mexico.
So far, I have spent only a couple of days in the classroom and I have already learned a lot about the students. What an interesting and fun group of kids! Now, here are 10 fun facts about Miss. Tchigak:
- Miss. Tchigak is pronounced “chee-gah-k”… but you can also call me Miss. T
- I speak, read and write fluent Russian (I was born in St. Petersburg, Russia and moved to Canada when I was only 5 years old)
- I have jumped out of a plane and gone sky-diving
- My favourite book is The Little Prince written by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry – I have read it in three different languages and I have seen the ballet performance
- My favourite foods include: olives, any kind of pizza, salads, quinoa (I am a health nut!)
- I love everything about water – swimming, canoeing, kayaking, diving, marine life, fishing, drinking water, looking at water, studying water, etc.
Here is a photo of me loving water. This past summer I went kayaking through the Toronto Islands!
7. I love to travel – whether that is around the city or around the world. I have been to 10 Canadian provinces and 34 states in the United States. In March 2017, I will be travelling to Utila, Honduras for a marine conservation placement where I will be scuba diving with whale sharks and teaching!
8. My favourite animal is a whale – not any specific kind of whale, I just love all kinds of whales!
9. I have a younger sister who is 10 years younger than me and is currently in Grade 7
10. I have two life mottos, or words I live by:
“Follow your bliss”
“Nothing can substitute experience”
If you ever want to talk or have any questions about anything, feel free to come and talk to me! I am very excited about starting this new teaching adventure. Let’s explore and learn together!
See you in class and talk to you soon,